users@glassfish.java.net

Re: jruby.rackEnv JVM option is not working for me...

From: Arun Gupta <Arun.Gupta_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:26:38 -0800

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> If I add the JVM option "-J-Djruby.rackEnv=production" then Glassfish fails to start. Did you mean to add it as a property?
I meant adding it to your CLI.

You can also consider setting JAVA_OPTS=-Djruby.rackEnv=production as
JRuby knows that property.

> Does it make a difference that I'm using my own JRuby install? I installed JRuby 1.4.0 into "/path/to/jruby/home" manually.
Nope, that's perfectly fine.

>I also tried using properties which didn't work:
>
> [code]
> /asadmin deploy --property jruby.home=/apps/programs/jruby:jruby.rackEnv=production --contextroot="/" redmine
> [/code]
>
> The "jruby.home" property is definitely being used because Redmine fails to deploy if I omit it. The 'jruby.rackEnv" variable seems to get ignored no matter what I do.
>
> Also, to clarify, I'm expecting that setting the "jruby.rackEnv" is the equivalent of setting the "RAILS_ENV" system property.
Yes, that's the intention as documented at:

http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=DeployAndRunRailsOnGlassFishV3

But it could be a bug. Can you please file an issue at:

https://glassfish.dev.java.net/issues/enter_bug.cgi?issue_type=DEFECT

with "jruby" sub-component ?

>It seems weird to me that it's not called "jruby.railsEnv",
Rack can be used to run multiple frameworks like Rails, Sinatra, and
many others. I think that's why the property was kept generic instead of
tying to one framework.

-Arun