users@glassfish.java.net

Java EE 6

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:31:34 +0200

On Jul 22, 2009, at 10:04 PM, Mark Mielke wrote:

> My only complaint with Sun is how slow things move, and especially
> of late. I'd like Java EE 6 to be out as a production quality
> release tomorrow. :-)

Or yesterday ? :-)

EE 6 involves multiple parties and multiple specifications that need
to align, some of these specifications are not yet final and while
close to being so there are still some ongoing changes/discussions,
and of course the relevant implementations need to change as well.

Getting all these technical "ducks" aligned is hard work (the "herding
cats" analogy also applies) so it can take time. In my personal
opinion i think many people from many companies or as individuals are
working quite hard to ensure that EE 6 gets finalized.

I think where the community can help is when an EE 6 feature gets put
into the trunk that people can give it is test drive in a nightly
build. For example many EJB 3.1 features are now available, IIRC there
is some JSF stuff, and there is partial integration of 299.

I work on JAX-RS/Jersey and EJB 3.1 integration is available. I will
be implementing Servlet 3.0 and 299/330 integration at some point. I
will ping this list when such implementations become available. The
Aquarium blog is a good source of information for when features are
available.

Paul.