users@glassfish.java.net

RE: Re: GLASSFISH IS LAME

From: Markus Karg <karg_at_quipsy.de>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:03:22 +0200

> Markus Karg schrieb:
> > While I still am not a big friend of the agressive style of
> conversion
> > you apply, I must confess that I fear that you are right. ;-( This is
> > what I try to change, but it is hard as Oracle/Sun certainly do not
> do
> > this project for fun, but for money.
>
> Well... I guess most of these companies involved in open source
> projects do
> right this "for money", be that directly or indirectly. One thing which
> is
> different about the Sun open source projects, here, in my opinion is
> that,
> ultimately, the source code of these projects is open and available but
> at
> the end it seems to be nothing more than "open source Sun repositories"
> - no
> real developer community outside Sun (feel free to correct me if I'm
> all
> wrong on that), no real community in terms of making decisions
> regarding
> project development and management, and so forth. This, ultimately,
> makes
> people suspicious as a lot of them (including us, actually) seem / tend
> rely upon open source software also for the reason of not being fully
> dependent upon one special vendor providing this software (a developer
> friend of mine just recently had to experience this as Oracle decided
> discontinue his beloved OAS in favor of WebLogic). So even being "open
> source", Glassfish won't eventually help preventing such a scenario. :(

Just what I say: The source is open, but the project is not -- but these days people expect open processes when reading about open source. Actually there is such a community outside of Sun which would be happy to participate in the decision making, but Sun is not offering an open process to let them participate. This is a difference.

Regards
Markus