dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: lopsidedness of domaindir usage?

From: Jerome Dochez <Jerome.Dochez_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 20:29:21 -0700

On Sep 10, 2008, at 6:52 PM, Kedar Mhaswade wrote:

>> Spawning scripts via java, that start a java command has some
>> issues related to in/out processing ( password echo, log file
>> content streamed to an IDE output area,..) and process control (you
>> get the script process, not the spawned java process).
>
> Hmmm. So you want to control the process handle for GlassFish so you
> can
> control its life cycle from within NetBeans?
>
>> I can dig into the NetBeans list archive to find more info but this
>> has caused hell situations at some point of time...
>
> Please do.
> At any rate, your reasons seem to be different from Bill's "perceived
> simplicity of a Java command".
>
> I agree, there were quirks with "asadmin start-domain", but
> switching to
> java -jar because of that is rather inexplicable.
it's about choice. For instance, in general, you always choose
completeness over simplicity.

but why is it inexplicable to you that more than 5 millions users of
Java are used to a java command line and might find it closer to their
comfort zone when using it with GF.
you do not have to feel diminished by their choices, because it's
theirs, just like you have yours.

Overall, there is a still an embedded use case which is not covered by
the embedded API today which is the ability to run GF embedded in
another VM yet using the OSGi facilities. I think that people can use
the Main-Class as specified in the manifest file to do that.

it's also a feature which has been identified and documented for V3.

> BTW, NB bundles with GF V2 -- do we not have "asadmin start-domain"
> there?
> Are there bugs currently unsolved on NB Issue Tracker because of that?
why switching the debate ? it's not because asadmin has not bug (and
it shouldn't) that you cannot have java -jar invocations.