dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: lopsidedness of domaindir usage?

From: Kedar Mhaswade <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:41:30 -0700

>> I agree, there were quirks with "asadmin start-domain", but switching to
>> java -jar because of that is rather inexplicable.
> it's about choice. For instance, in general, you always choose
> completeness over simplicity.

This is grossly inaccurate. They start the server this way and what do
they then do? "asadmin deploy", "asadmin create-jdbc-resource"
"asadmin list-applications", or something like, isn't it?

That means they have to resort to using tools, if they have to do anything
meaningful with the "java process" they started. Starting the server is
not the end of story.

If everyone uses an IDE, no developer should even have to see an existence
of "java -jar". Why does s/he care? Why can't s/he just click a button on
the IDE and plugin takes care of everything? The fact that you allude to
a developer who does "java -jar", implies you are talking about a
command line guy.

And completeness, not haphazard development is required for "products",
especially, mature products.

> but why is it inexplicable to you that more than 5 millions users of
> Java are used to a java command line and might find it closer to their
> comfort zone when using it with GF.
> you do not have to feel diminished by their choices, because it's
> theirs, just like you have yours.

Again, why is it that just starting the server with "java" should fall in their
comfort zone? How is running a single "asadmin start-domain" command or simple
"startserv" script making them "uncomfortable", given that they have to run
asadmin almost immediately after the start?