dev@grizzly.java.net

Re: Deployer refactoring

From: Hubert Iwaniuk <neotyk_at_kungfoo.pl>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 14:29:04 +0200

Hi,
On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 11:15 PM, Survivant 00 <survivant00_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I made a autodeploy different than Tomcat or Jetty. They have a command
> web.xml that is happen to each webapp deployed.
>
> I did the samething, but instead of having a fixed default.xml , I used
> more generic way.
>
> the param :--autodeploy allow you to specified web.xml paths that you
> want to deploy on each webapps.
>
> ex : if you add a web.xml named jasper.xml or quercus.xml you could
> add theses supports to all webapps without to have to put jasper+quercus in
> the same default.xml
>

> like that by command line, you could launch 2 DEployer instances and both
> of them could have differents configs.. one with jasper support and the
> other with PHP support.
>

> but the result at the end.. is to provide a default support.
>

> What do you think ?

I was thinking of providing webdefault.xml that could be overwritten by cmd
line parameter.
In refactoring branch we have utility method to merge WebApps so it should
be quite simple to implement both approaches.

Autodeploy name is a bit confusing, these are not web applications, we talk
here only about web.xmls.
While autodeploy seems like this *.war files will be automatically deployed
at start.
Users of Tomcat and Jetty will be already familiar with webdefault.xml.

What we could do is this:

   1. change parameter name autodeploy->webdefault
   2. make it accept path and base on what path is:
      1. file -> use this file as webdefault.xml instead one we provide and
      merge this webapp with all apps deployed,
      2. directory -> read all *.xml files in directory, load those files as
      web.xmls and merge them with all apps deployed.

That way migrating users will have behavior that they are familiar with, and
it can be used with multiple web.xml files.

How do you like it?
H.