users@glassfish.java.net

Re: [ADVICE] DAS best practices in prodcution environment ?

From: Bernhard Thalmayr <bernhard.thalmayr_at_painstakingminds.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 11:36:29 +0100

On 11/24/2011 05:56 PM, Anissa Lam wrote:
> Hi Bernhard,
> On 11/24/11 3:51 AM, Bernhard Thalmayr wrote:
>> A 'DAS' (domain administration server) corresponsds to one 'domain'
>>
>> The applications will be deployed into the domain repository (hosted
>> by the 'DAS') and an application reference will exist for every
>> instance the application should be available.
>>
>> The admin-console you become somewhat messy (nearly unusable) if you
>> have 100 web-apps deployed (you may need to use the CLI instead).
>>
> Can you elaborate on the above statement ? Is it performance, UI, layout
> of pages or workflow that makes you feel that way ? We strive to improve
> user experience on the console and your feedback and suggestion will be
> greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your attention Anissa.

For every application deployed the console tries to determine the state
f it on every server. This can take a very long time.

You just get the hint 'long running process detected' (or similar).

Currently I have about 25 application deployed and IMHO it's already
almost usable. Personally I don't mind to much because I'm using the
CLI anyway, but the developers are always using the console and they are
complaining a lot.

Although I'm using GF 3.1.1 I still have issues with 'running out of
file handles' due to REST-calls not cleaning up the sockets correctly -
similar (http://java.net/jira/browse/GLASSFISH-16672). This error is
very nasty and makes the console almost unusable if you can not tweak
the FD limits at the OS level.
(Of course I set the 'linger' stuff ... but this does not help at all)

Regards,
Bernhard

--
Painstaking Minds