users@glassfish.java.net

Re: get-health reports incorrectly

From: Bobby Bissett <bobby.bissett_at_oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 11:23:28 -0400

[Again, I forgot to cc the form email address. What is this, 2010? Resending.]

On Apr 25, 2011, at 11:22 AM, Bobby Bissett wrote:

> This was the desired output so thank you both again!

I'm glad that worked out for you. Dealing with these network-level issues can be tricky. For instance, your next question. :)

> I was wondering why ${GMS-BIND-INTERFACE-ADDRESS-cluster1} takes the IP of
> 10.0.0.1 which belongs to eth1 (an interface used for another purposes). I
> thought it took eth0 as validate-multicast with default settings said that
> all instances see each other and the DAS.

Without any options given, the validate-multicast subcommand has to use some default values, and the default for network adapter is to not specify one at all. So the JDK can pick whichever one it wants, which may not match what GMS chooses in your host at the time it runs. Though it's a mostly debugging-oriented tool, you can see how validate-multicast could also be used to plan your configuration before creating the cluster (so you can specify the network adapters as needed for each host).

I have an RFE to make the command (or a similar one) a little more user friendly, such that it reads the configuration information, talks to the instances for you, etc. Based on this, I just added a comment for myself that it should let you know if it's making any assumptions such as network interface:

http://java.net/jira/browse/GLASSFISH-13056?focusedCommentId=307561&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#action_307561

Cheers,
Bobby