users@glassfish.java.net

Log rotation fails, rotated log is empty

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 02:43:17 PDT

I'm new to Glassfish, but I am an experienced Linux and Web admin.

I would like to display the server stats in awstats, but I've run into a few problems;

1. I first wanted to use logrotate, but find that is impossible.
2. I decided to log rotate through the Gui, but tests see that the generated file is empty
3. I decided to use the command line, but this has the same result of an empty file. It also required login, acceptance of a cert etc so can't be scripted anyway.

Both the log rotates resulted in an empty rotated file, whilst the server_access_log.txt remains intact!

Rotation through the Gui is via HTTP Service. I have never seen such a complicated way of doing things as this app server, progress I guess! I have successfully generated a combined format log file.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Neil.
[Message sent by forum member 'neilm1']