users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Compiling JSP is slow on v3

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 16:26:53 PDT

Wow, that's really slow! By a factor of 7!

Do you know how many pages are compiled in getting to your login page? What is the average size for those pages? If there are not too big, and you can shared them, can I use them for my test case?

Also, do you use specific JSP compilation options?

If you cannot share your files, one way to get the actual time for JSP comilations is to set the logging level for the module org.apache.jasper to FINE. This way you can compare the actual time for JSP compilation in v2, and v3.

If you really want to speed up your edit-deploy-test cycle, don't redeploy your app, Instead you can make you changes to the JSP pages directly in the deployed directory. This way, only the modified pages will be recompiled. The JSP engine can detected files that have been modified since the last compilation.

Thanks.
[Message sent by forum member 'kchung']