users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Permissions in applications directory

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:51:33 PST

Thanks again, Kedar. This is what is so strange about this scenario...all domains were created and are running as root, and the root user's umask setting has not been changed from one domain creation and start to another.

It doesn't appear that these "rogue" permissions are affecting anything wrt the application. Can you think of any case when r-- --- --- permissions in those applications directories could cause issue? Is there any need for write or execute permission on the files and directories therein?

Thanks!

> Ultimately when Java code meets the physical
> platform, the low-level characteristics (e.g.
> directory
> permissions for the folders that Java code tries to
> create) are determined by that platform. So, here,
> maybe your "umask settings" came into play? e.g. when
> you deployed an app in the server that
> was started as a Java process by some user on that
> machine, it's that user's umask settings that
> determine the permissions on Unix platforms.
>
> Maybe none of this is what's happening on your
> system. But it has got to be something similar
> because I don't think deployment code in GlassFish
> does "chmod" explicitly on application
> folders. There is use of explicit chmod in glassfish
> source code, but it is at different place (or
> so I hope).
>
> -Kedar
[Message sent by forum member 'skeeny' (skeens_kristi_at_bah.com)]