users@glassfish.java.net

Http Load Balancer question

From: Xin Guo <Xin.Guo_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 10:38:13 -0700

Hi,

We are using Sun App Server 9.1 (Glassfish 2.1.1), which is fronted by
Windows IIS server with HTTP Load Balancer plug-in provided by app
server 9.1. We want to terminate HTTPS on the IIS/http-load-balancer,
and use only http on Sun App Server 9.1.

The problem is, the app server then has no idea about the protocol of
the original request, and will tell the web applications running inside
to use http://hostname:80 to form absolute URL.

Is there any way to overcome this issue? We have the following
properties defined in the IIS loadbalancer.xml:
<property name="rewrite-location" value="true"/>
<property name="https-routing" value="false"/>

I read that authPassthroughEnabled property might be helpful, but then
its default implementation requires the IIS to pass back certain custom
http headers. We don't have control on IIS, so that's unlikely to happen.

Please let me know if you have solved similar problems in the past.

Thanks,