users@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish getting "Merged" with WebLogic?

From: Mark Mielke <mark_at_mark.mielke.cc>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 14:24:31 -0400

On 07/11/2009 12:33 PM, Stephen Connolly wrote:
> 2009/7/11 Mark Mielke <mark_at_mark.mielke.cc <mailto:mark_at_mark.mielke.cc>>
>

> Why maintain two full stacks? We've already seen some attempts to
> work together with Oracle
>

> If you want something to truely be a standard, there must be at least
> two completely independent implementations. Having two stacks ensures
> that this is the case.

There are at least two stacks. They might not be feature-complete, but
that's just because Sun has always lead with a "reference
implementation". If Oracle merges WebLogic with Glassfish to provide a
single dual-licensed commercial/FOSS solution, which part of the stack
do you believe will NOT have "two completely independent implementations?"

> I'm already worried about the components in the JavaEE spec that are
> essentially being used by *most/all* the implementations rather than
> seeing a second implementation

It's all about the itch. If a product is good enough, and the single
implementation meets all requirements, the priority, and the competing
implementations can be focused on the components that do NOT meet all
requirements. Which component in particular are you concerned about that
does not have a second implementation?

In true FOSS-style, if we don't like what we are getting, we can branch
the community and put up or shurt up. It's not Sun's nor Oracle's
responsibility to provide P1 fixes for free to the community. If we are
not paying subscription prices - then it is up to *us* to contributor,
and put our own skin into the game, to fix the problems, and push them
back upstream for the benefit of all. If we want somebody else to fix it
for us - we either sell our case to others, such that those with the
resources and competency to perform the fix are compelled to work on it,
or we pay somebody else to do it.

To some degree, threatening "if you don't fix this, I'm leaving" is not
working together as a community. Communities are not charities.

Not to be offensive to anybody here, or pointing fingers at anybody, but
let's try to be fair and objective, and not hurt the community further
by expressing fear/uncertainty/doubt or using threatening or upsetting
language. We can express our desire for Oracle/Sun to keep us informed
without showing anger or frustration.

This community seems quiet (of late especially?), but I've used this
community as an example for how communities should work in the past, and
I'd like very much for this community to continue to live up to my
accolades. :-)

Cheers,
mark

--