users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Debugging Glassfish CPU usage

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 00:20:09 PDT

Hi Jagadish,

I have made your changes with respect to the connection pool, as well as disabled auto-commit for the time being. Also, I updated to jdk 1.6.0_13, as well as Glassfish 2.1-b60e.

Unfortunately, I am not sure whether these changes have had a positive effect because we started experiencing general sluggishness (10s+ page loads) about 12 hours ago that we have been unable to remedy. Our traffic during this period has been unremarkable, and our munin graphs have appeared normal. Nonetheless, the server has responding very slowly. I don't think it's related to our application, since this is the same version of the app we had deployed for the previous week without experiencing this slowness. Also, I don't think it's database related, since even static content is affected by the slow responses.

I thought the change may have been due to running at Xmx3000m and Xms3000m, instead of Xmx2500m and Xms2500m, so we changed back to 2500 but that was unremarkable as well.

I'm not sure what to do. Sometimes, page loads are quite snappy, but other times they take 20s, and I have been unable to pinpoint differences.

Please let me know if there is any other data I can provide.
[Message sent by forum member 'rwillie6' (rwillie6)]