users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Vista, Jee5, sql2000 &sql2005

From: Dennis Gesker <dennis_at_gesker.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 14:40:29 -0700

Eve:

I'm jumping in the thread a little late so if I'm answering the wrong
question I apologize in advance. But, my dev machine seems to be setup
similar to what you are trying to setup so I thought maybe I could
offer some tips

I had been using MS-SQL 2008 express on Vista 64 (jdk_1.6.0._11,
glassfish-v2.1b60f) however my issue was not the driver. My issue was
that MS-SQL Express seemed to not enable TCP/IP by default so I had to
enable it using the configuration manager.

Once TCP/IP was enabled I was able to connect using the jTDS driver.
However, I was not able to connect using Microsofts' driver. The
driver complained about ms-sql 2008 express being an incorrect
version. I did find a pre-release of the next version of the jdbc
driver (sqljdbc4.jar) that seemed to work OK on the MS Website. There
were two jars (sqljdbc4.jar and sqljdbc.jar) in the pre-release
version. You will only need sqljdbc4.jar.

By the way, I also recommend just copying the needed jars to the
glassfish/lib directory as the easiest way to make glassfish aware of
the driver.

Also, just as an FYI there is a very useful file that you can add to
your [ProjectName]\setup folder called sun-resources.xml where you can
put in all the settings for your database pool/connection. When you
put this file in the setup folder is shows up under the "Server
Resources" node in NetBeans which is really convenient

Just as a reference my sun-resources.xml file (using the jTDS Driver)
looks kind of like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE resources PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Application
Server 9.0 Resource Definitions //EN"
"http://www.sun.com/software/appserver/dtds/sun-resources_1_3.dtd">
<resources>
  <jdbc-resource enabled="true" jndi-name="jdbc/MyDb"
object-type="user" pool-name="MyDbPool"/>

  <jdbc-connection-pool allow-non-component-callers="false"
associate-with-thread="false" connection-creation-retry-attempts="0"
connection-creation-retry-interval-in-seconds="10"
connection-leak-reclaim="false" connection-leak-timeout-in-seconds="0"
connection-validation-method="auto-commit"
datasource-classname="net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbcx.JtdsDataSource"
fail-all-connections="false" idle-timeout-in-seconds="300"
is-connection-validation-required="false"
is-isolation-level-guaranteed="true"
lazy-connection-association="false" lazy-connection-enlistment="false"
match-connections="false" max-connection-usage-count="0"
max-pool-size="128" max-wait-time-in-millis="60000" name="MyDbPool"
non-transactional-connections="false" pool-resize-quantity="2"
res-type="javax.sql.ConnectionPoolDataSource"
statement-timeout-in-seconds="-1" steady-pool-size="16"
validate-atmost-once-period-in-seconds="0" wrap-jdbc-objects="false">
    <property name="serverName" value="127.0.0.1"/>
    <property name="port" value="1433"/>
    <property name="appName" value="GlassfishAppServer"/>
    <property name="databaseName" value="MyDb"/>
    <property name="user" value="sa"/>
    <property name="password" value="mySecretPassword"/>
    <!-- <property name="URL"
value="jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://localhost:1433/MyDb;tds=8.0;lastupdatecount=true"/>
-->
  </jdbc-connection-pool>

</resources>

With a few modifications you can adjust the above file contents for
the MS-JDBC driver.

Finally, a while back I posted some directions for getting JSPWiki
running on Glassfish. This series of postings also includes some step
by step for setting up Db/JDBC (though more specific to jdbc auth)
which you may find helpful.

http://gesker.blogspot.com/2007/03/jspwikiglassfish-install-part-1.html
http://gesker.blogspot.com/2007/03/jspwikiglassfish-install-part-10-of-18.html
http://gesker.blogspot.com/2007/03/jspwikiglassfish-install-part-11-of-18.html

Anyway, I hope that helps to get you going. Good luck with your project.

Dennis

--
Dennis R. Gesker
email: dennis_at_gesker.com