users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Newbie: Should I run Glassfish when Tomcat is enough?

From: Jerome Dochez <Jerome.Dochez_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 09:19:57 -0800

On Jan 7, 2009, at 12:37 AM, glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:

> I have to say also that I'm with Gili on that one, and ,in my case,
> I'm not using GF because it does not suit my "development style". I
> have many medium-sized applications and I change between them quite
> often so:
>
> .- I need to be able to "mount" an application very easily, and for
> me easy means editing one line in a config file. I don't want need a
> GUI for that. Moreover, I don't package my applications as war
> files, for the memory problems already mentioned, so I need to
> "mount" directories. This option is usually not very well documented.
in v2, there is a deploydir command where you deploy an exploded
directory. in v3 it's the usual deploy command where instead of
passing the war file, you just point to your exploded directory. Of
course deploydir is still supported for backward compatibility

> .- I need to be able to start/stop the container very easily, and
> that usually means for me to click or double-click onto something.
> Command-line with parameters is fine for production where you don't
> do it so often. And no, I don't run containers inside IDEs because
> they are slow enough without the extra burden :).
by container, you meant your applications right ? I support you could
use the admin gui if you like to click or you can use the CLI enable/
disable commands.

is this what you were looking for ?

jerome