users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Newbie: Should I run Glassfish when Tomcat is enough?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 15:09:27 PST

> On Jan 7, 2009, at 12:37 AM,
> glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> in v2, there is a deploydir command where you deploy an exploded
> directory. in v3 it's the usual deploy command where instead of
> passing the war file, you just point to your exploded directory. Of
> course deploydir is still supported for backward compatibility

Does that imply that the server is already up and running? I mean, what I want to be able to do is configure a server instance so it starts with one application, the one I'm currently developing/maintaining, so when I start the server just that one is active.
Right now, I just have to open the main server config file, set
<web-app id="/AppX" document-directory="/whatever/appx"/>
..
and that's it. If I start working with another application, I stop the server, change that line to point to the proper place and there I go again. If I need more that one application working together, I just add another line and that's about it.

> by container, you meant your applications right ? I support you could
> use the admin gui if you like to click or you can use the CLI enable/
> disable commands.

I meant the whole servlet container. When developing, I just want one or two applications loaded in the server, as starting the others also takes time, they consume memory, they "pollute" the logs.. I have currently about 30 applications in production, so I find it unnecessary to have them all configured. I might have them all configured and disabled but then in order to work with some I would have to go do the admin console, check in the list which ones are configured, disable one, enable another... Currently, I just have to do the step I mentioned in the previous point and start the server. That's it.

> is this what you were looking for ?
> jerome

I think that not exactly. It might be that I'm looking for a too easy way for special case, but I that's how I develop.
Thanks for your answers.
[Message sent by forum member 'greeneyed' (greeneyed)]