users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Newbie: Should I run Glassfish when Tomcat is enough?

From: Jerome Dochez <Jerome.Dochez_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 16:06:18 -0800

On Jan 7, 2009, at 3:09 PM, glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:

>> On Jan 7, 2009, at 12:37 AM,
>> glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
>> in v2, there is a deploydir command where you deploy an exploded
>> directory. in v3 it's the usual deploy command where instead of
>> passing the war file, you just point to your exploded directory. Of
>> course deploydir is still supported for backward compatibility
>
> Does that imply that the server is already up and running? I mean,
> what I want to be able to do is configure a server instance so it
> starts with one application, the one I'm currently developing/
> maintaining, so when I start the server just that one is active.
> Right now, I just have to open the main server config file, set
> <web-app id="/AppX" document-directory="/whatever/appx"/>
ok but that's basically deploying them, you can do that with v3 too if
you start modifying the domain.xml which is our main server config file.

> ..
> and that's it. If I start working with another application, I stop
> the server, change that line to point to the proper place and there
> I go again. If I need more that one application working together, I
> just add another line and that's about it.

  in v3, you can do java -jar glassfish/modules/glassfish.jar foo
where foo is your exploded directory. We cannot support running
several applications right now, you would need to deploy them. Feel
free to file an RFE.

>> by container, you meant your applications right ? I support you could
>> use the admin gui if you like to click or you can use the CLI enable/
>> disable commands.
>
> I meant the whole servlet container. When developing, I just want
> one or two applications loaded in the server, as starting the others
> also takes time, they consume memory, they "pollute" the logs.. I
> have currently about 30 applications in production, so I find it
> unnecessary to have them all configured. I might have them all
> configured and disabled but then in order to work with some I would
> have to go do the admin console, check in the list which ones are
> configured, disable one, enable another... Currently, I just have to
> do the step I mentioned in the previous point and start the server.
> That's it.
ok so the easy answer to this problem is to deploy all your 30
applications in disabled state and then enable the 2 or 3 you want to
test. This can be done either by mocking with the domain.xml directly
which I really do not recommend (but it's a free world) or through
administrative CLI commands like asadmin deploy/enable/disable/undeploy.

jerome