users@glassfish.java.net

Port 21 Issue on localhost

From: vang08 <phlogiston08_at_live.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 07:09:32 -0700 (PDT)

Anyone know the range of port numbers that Glassfish reserves when it starts
up a web application? I know 8080,8181,and 80, of course, the HTTP and HTTPS
ports. Also the port for the admin app (8484?).

But are there any others it makes off limiits when it is running a web app?
For example, 21? The default Ftp port?

I ask because I am working with a Java-based FtpServer from a respected
development organization, which runs and works perfectly well on localhost
when run by itself in Glassfish or directly from the JDK. It is a standalone
application. You can connect to it from clients, upload, browse, download,
all no problem on localhost.

However, when I start up the FtpServer, and then as a separate process,
start up an unrelated web application (any web application) in Glassfish, no
client can connect to the FtpServer anymore. It is as if the web application
is "jamming the transmission" of any Ftp client trying to connect to this
unassociated FtpServer running on my local machine. There are FTP error
messages, and no log-in failure--you don't even get the chance to log-in.
Instead, all Ftp clients just attempt to connect, never connect, then
timeout. "Unable to connect to Socket" is what SmartFtp reports. This is
the same for any Ftp client, and any web application--so I doubt it has
anything to do with code, or even the Application layer. Seems to be
happening at a lower OSI layer such as Transport.

It really works like a Switch: as soon as you switch-off the web
application--but make No Other Changes-- immediately Ftp clients can all
connect to the Ftp server again. Start a web application back up--with No
Other Changes--and immediately, connection to the FtpServer becomes
impossible. It is as is the FtpServer's socket becomes invisible. I have
tried SmartFTP, Fling, WS_FTP, even Telnet! All are commercially-produced
Ftp clients. All exhibit this behavior.

Problem: Ultimately, we need both this Ftp server, and a Web Application,
to be running concurrently on our Glassfish Server in production. Both have
to work, at the same time.