users@glassfish.java.net

Re: glassfish in production - is it really free ?

From: Kristian Rink <kawazu_at_zimmer428.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:37:00 +0100

Alexis;

first off, thanks a lot for your hints on that.

Am Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:19:42 +0100
schrieb Alexis Moussine-Pouchkine <alexis.mp_at_sun.com>:

> app server configuration, ...). So if you can afford to start from
> SJS AS in production from day 1, today, that would make it easier
> for you to work with support wrt patches.

What does "if you can afford" mean, in this context? Is SJS AS the same
as Java EE SDK 5 Update 3? Or is there another package to get started
with? Because for what I have seen so far, I see at least the Java EE
SDK5 site showing "free for development and production".

It's definitely not that I want to use "free of charge" software in our
environment; we do have a certain budget planning of course also
including money to be spent on software, services and education. But so
far I can't see how to spend money on SJS AS or glassfish even if I
wanted to... Can someone of the Sun folks set me straight on that? Feel
free to contact me personally if that might be off-topic here. :)

Asides that, however: The chance to start with glassfish+NetBeans
(open-source) and then move to, say, SJS AS + NetBeans in our case is
the major argument to go for the Sun JEE container in favour of some
other environments we have tested so far.

Thanks and best regards,
Kristian

--
Kristian Rink * http://zimmer428.net * http://flickr.com/photos/z428/
jab: kawazu_at_jabber.ccc.de * icq: 48874445 * fon: ++49 176 2447 2771