users@glassfish.java.net

Re: glassfish in production - is it really free ?

From: John Clingan <John.Clingan_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 00:05:41 -0800

On Dec 18, 2007, at 11:37 PM, Kristian Rink wrote:

> Alexis;
>
> first off, thanks a lot for your hints on that.
>
> Am Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:19:42 +0100
> schrieb Alexis Moussine-Pouchkine <alexis.mp_at_sun.com>:
>
>> app server configuration, ...). So if you can afford to start from
>> SJS AS in production from day 1, today, that would make it easier
>> for you to work with support wrt patches.
>
> What does "if you can afford" mean, in this context? Is SJS AS the
> same
> as Java EE SDK 5 Update 3? Or is there another package to get started
> with? Because for what I have seen so far, I see at least the Java EE
> SDK5 site showing "free for development and production".

The same GlassFish/SJSAS appserver bits, but the EE SDK throws in
additional development-oriented packages including the blueprints,
more samples, etc.

> It's definitely not that I want to use "free of charge" software in
> our
> environment; we do have a certain budget planning of course also
> including money to be spent on software, services and education. But
> so
> far I can't see how to spend money on SJS AS or glassfish even if I
> wanted to... Can someone of the Sun folks set me straight on that?
> Feel
> free to contact me personally if that might be off-topic here. :)

Hopefully my last email addresses this with links to Alexis' blog
post. I think it crossed in the mail. Here's the link again:
http://blogs.sun.com/alexismp/entry/support_for_glassfish_what_s

The most important artifacts are timely and accurate responses to
questions with an SLA, access to the sustaining branch and
indemnification. Indemnification is a benefit of the the support
contract, not the SJSAS bits themselves.

A couple more links related to support:

> Asides that, however: The chance to start with glassfish+NetBeans
> (open-source) and then move to, say, SJS AS + NetBeans in our case is
> the major argument to go for the Sun JEE container in favour of some
> other environments we have tested so far.

This is what we expect a vast majority of SJSAS customers to do, so no
worries. Since the GlassFish/SJSAS bits are the same, there is
essentially zero risk in this approach. Let us know if you have any
additional questions.

John Clingan
GlassFish / Sun Java System Application Server Product Manager