users@glassfish.java.net

Re: glassfish in production - is it really free ?

From: John Clingan <John.Clingan_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 23:40:44 -0800

Earlier today I updated the GlassFish FAQ entry that describes the
differences. Hopefully it is more readable now.
http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=FaqGlassFishV2vsSJSAS91

Whether you are using GlassFish or the SJSAS, the bits are free for
development and production. After installation, the bits layed down on
disk by the GlassFish installer are the same as when you install the
base SJSAS 9.1 bundle. The "SJSAS w/HADB" bundle adds HADB, Mozilla
NSS libraries and 3rd party data direct drivers. As you recognize,
there are no major differences between SJSAS and GlassFish. That's by
design. Eduardo has a good writeup on how we productize open source:
http://blogs.sun.com/pelegri/entry/hardening_productizing_open_source_projects

As Alexis mentions, if you plan to go into production and want to
purchase support (or purchase support in the future), we recommend
installing SJSAS on production systems. He also has an excellent
writeup of the support topic:
http://blogs.sun.com/alexismp/entry/support_for_glassfish_what_s