users@glassfish.java.net

Re: ACTION: Feedback and Lessons learned for Glassfish v2

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 07:04:55 PDT

Hi,

What I like about GlassFish v2:
- It's easy to install
- It's open
- It's stable (okay, I haven't tested it with hor.+vert. clustering, HA Manager and 1000 of requests per seconds.
- Some of the concepts like the manager for other single instances and clusters or the different profiles looks like IBM WS... but you get it for free.
- Managing which application is on which server and what each server has is very easy.
- The tracing capabilities are great (and can be changed at runtime)
- The monitoring could be expended a little (It's okay as it is, but not very easy to get an overview)
- The community is very active
- You get the support you need in the community

What I don't like about GlassFish v2:
- The documentation is a little... well... not as good as the software
- The GUI could be enhanced. If compared to jboss, it's way better (but then, everything else). If compared to IBM WS or BEA, it still has some way to go (but that may be just my opinion...)
- The focus of the first v2 release seems to be: get as many nice features as possible. I'm still a little concerned about the different production problems that have not been answered yet like update mechanism (patch, new versions) on a 24/7 server farm.
- The ClassPath Environment file is not portable. You can go change the different paths and move the whole server somwhere else.

That's what I found out... The list is by far not complete (mostly in the positive side)

hope this helps
jeremie
[Message sent by forum member 'granat' (granat)]