users@glassfish.java.net

Re: ACTION: Feedback and Lessons learned for Glassfish v2

From: John Clingan <John.Clingan_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 14:40:14 -0700

Thanks for the feedback!! More below.

> What I don't like about GlassFish v2:
> - The documentation is a little... well... not as good as the software

Can you give examples of which documentation you are referring to and
examples of where we can do a better job?

> - The GUI could be enhanced. If compared to jboss, it's way better
> (but then, everything else). If compared to IBM WS or BEA, it still
> has some way to go (but that may be just my opinion...)

Can you give examples? Is it lack of functionality? Same
functionality but harder to find or use? What functionality?

> - The focus of the first v2 release seems to be: get as many nice
> features as possible. I'm still a little concerned about the
> different production problems that have not been answered yet like
> update mechanism (patch, new versions) on a 24/7 server farm.

This is where the Sun Java System Application Server 9.1 comes in,
where 24/7 support, upgrades and a formal patch process are all
available. As for GlassFish upgrades (in-place or side by side), the
current installer for the Sun Application Server 9.1 which enables
upgrades is not open source. We plan to address this with GlassFish V3.