users@glassfish.java.net

Re: JAVA DISTRIBUTED CACHE IN GLASSFISH CLUSTER

From: Shreedhar Ganapathy <Shreedhar.Ganapathy_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 07:48:09 -0700

Hi Evaristo

Evaristo José Camarero wrote:
> Evaristo
>

> Hi:
>
> I have a clustering application that needs to provide
> a mechanisms to share information between all the
> cluster members; I need to share between all the
> cluster members the application configuration, that be
> changed in runtime.
The GF cluster is a homogeneous cluster and configurations are intended
to be substantially identical for all cluster members (with the
exception of things such as ports, log locations, etc). Could you share
more details about the app configurations? Can this app configuration be
set using the GF administration console to the cluster as the target
thereby applying it uniformly to all cluster members?
> I could employ a database for
> that, but I considered more performance oriented to
> employ a java distributed cache. I have read that
> Glassfishv2 cluster uses Shoal/JXTA for clustering
> purpose, and I have 2 questions:
>
> - Is it possible to employ JXTA / Shoal for the
> purpose described before?

Yes this should be possible assuming the GF admin console approach does
not work for you. The Shoal DistributedStateCache for this release is a
shared cache implementation and is intended for lightweight throughput
needs.
> - If that is the case, may I employ the same GMS that
> uses the Glassfish container, or do I need to
> instantiate new GMS in my application?

You can use the same GMS by using the following code snippet.
GroupManagementService gms = GMSFactory.getGMSModule(clusterName);
DistributedStateCache dsc = gms.getGroupHandle().getDistributedStateCache();
dsc.addToCache(....).

The javadoc is here
https://shoal.dev.java.net/nonav/docs/api/com/sun/enterprise/ee/cms/core/DistributedStateCache.html
Other javadocs for Shoal are located here:
https://shoal.dev.java.net/nonav/docs/api/

> - Is the solution portable to another JEE container,
> installing the Shoal libraries there?

Yes. You need the shoal-gms.jar and jxta.jar to be made available to any
other JEE container.