users@glassfish.java.net

Random NoClassDefFoundErrors during JWS client application execution

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 04:44:34 PDT

Hi All,

This is something that I have been experiencing for some time now - I had thought it had just gone away at one stage, but I see it is still there.

System: WinXP SP2, Glassfish b58b (rc2), Java 1.6

I start an application client via Java Web Start, and it all works fine. This application has several tabbed pages with controls, etc. in them. The user navigates through the application normally by using the controls. The problem occurs after a seemingly random amount of time (sometimes less than two minutes, sometimes more), that when the user clicks a control, a NoClassDefFoundError is generated at the application client (and appears in the Java console as such - nothing at all in the app server log). The class that is not found is generally an anonymous inner class that is used to handle the control's actionPerformed() method. At other times though, the class that may be not found is, for example, a sub-class of a TableModel being used as the data model for a table display in the application.

From the outside, it would appear as if classes get loaded and cached, and after a time, they disappear from the cache, but when called upon again, the classloader is unable to reload the classes anymore. Thereafter, the application falls to pieces as more and more class-not-found errors occur, and one just has to exit the application. Upon restarting the application with JWS (note, not undeploying or restarting Glassfish or anything), it works OK again for a while.

Is anyone else experiencing such problems ?

Thanks,

Steve.
[Message sent by forum member 'suttridge_farm' (suttridge_farm)]