users@glassfish.java.net

Re: New feature in Admin Console

From: Kedar Mhaswade <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 00:19:27 -0700

Bill's questions were somehow posted only on admin_at_glassfish alias.
Adding users alias here as well.

> I want to inform the group that a new feature, probably the last one
> for V2 release, is added to Admin Console. As we all know,
> clustering support is one of the major feature for V2. We want to
> provide an easy way for adding cluster support to domains running
> developer profile. A new button has been added to the general page of
> the Application Server for Adding Cluster Support. User can just
> press this button to go to a page that explains what this action does
> and then confirm their action. All deployed application will
> continue to work and this takes effect upon domain restart.
>> This feature will be available starting from May 17 nightly build.
>> Please send email to users_at_glassfish.dev.java.net alias for any
>> question regarding this feature.
>
> Is there a more detailed spec for exactly what is done when the button
> is pushed?
Spec, well a spec of sorts --
http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/gfwiki/Wiki.jsp?page=ProvidingClusterSupport2DeveloperDomains

> Will it work on *any* domain, no matter how created or configured?
Yes, any domain. The only requirement -- the domain must not already be
supporting clusters.

> Does it know that the domain already supports clusters and disables
> the button?
Yes. Actually, admin console is context-sensitive. It means the GUI
elements that
make sense only on cluster environment are shown only when clusters are
supported.
There is only a small window where this is not true at the moment --
- you upgrade the domain to support clusters and you are redirected to
the "restart" page.
- if you don't restart, then the button is still "clickable". But upon
clicking, it will say that
  the domain already supports the clusters.

Users/Admins are expected to restart the domain upon adding the support.

Kedar