users@glassfish.java.net

Improving asadmin interactive mode

From: Jane Young-Lau <Jane.Young_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 16:49:20 -0700

Hi All,

I'd like to solicit your opinion on how CLI (asadmin) prompts for options.

Currently, if --interactive is true, asadmin would prompt for the user
and password. It does not prompt for the required options.

For example, let's take create-jdbc-resource command:
>asadmin create-jdbc-resource --interactive jdbc_resource
CLI014 connectionpoolid is a required option.

Though --interactive is true, the command fails since it requires that
you enter --connectionpoolid option on the command line. If you provide
the --connectionpoolid option, the command will prompt the user for the
user and password:
>asadmin create-jdbc-resource --interactive --connectionpoolid
testPool jdbc_resource
Please enter the admin user name>admin
Please enter the admin password>
Command create-jdbc-resource executed successfully.

The user and password options are prompted since I have not login'd to
the domain using "asadmin login" command.

Would you like to see that asadmin commands also prompt for the
required options as well as the user/password options? Would this be a
feature well received? Keep in mind that asadmin is mainly use for
scripting.

I'd like to know the following:
YES - adding prompting of required options benefits the usability of asadmin
NO - stay status quo. prompting of user/password is good enough
Other suggestions?

Let me know your opinion.

Thank you,
Jane