quality@glassfish.java.net

Re: Request for comments : FishCAT, the way forward

From: Richard Kolb <rjdkolb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 09:28:11 +0200

Hi Vladimir

On 7 July 2010 06:36, Vladimir Perlov <vladperl_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> >True, but I don't think Sun's Open Source views and culture just
> disappeared :)
>
> I understand it, and maybe we could contact directly some people from
> Glassfish team in informal manner and ask them some questions :) For example
> in the past I had contact a couple times with Jason Lee. He is kind of guy
> open to discussion and he is responsible for Glassfish's Admin panel and
> some other stuff also. So if we will have some questions to Glassfish team I
> could try to contact him. By the way it was a funny story how I the first
> time had contact with him. But I'm not that good storyteller to bother you
> with this kind of story.

Ah, great thanks. Jason is responsible for JSF2 as well.
FishCAT has support via Alexis, Judy , Edwardo and many others, so it should
not be a problem.

> >Well, I always believe more in what people 'do' than 'say'
> >So let's test it out :)
>
> You don't have to do it just check out the link:
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/oramag/oracle/10-jul/o40interview.html?msgid=3-1768287653
>
> "Screven: The first thing that I want to point out is that Oracle doesn’t
> really have an open source-specific strategy. What we have is an overall
> company strategy: to deliver complete, open, integrated solutions to our
> customers."
>
> As you can see I was absolutely right, they just don't have any strategy in
> this regard :)
> Watching the video about how many people are using MySql I was just
> wondering why they couldn't effort to create decent community based SQL
> manager as alternative to MySQL browser. Maybe they didn't have a decent
> awarding schema at this time :)

Hmmm... I think it's time for the open community is step up and show Oracle
it's worth while :)
Then maybe they will have a formal policy.

> One more thing that could be useful for us is to read the Seth Godin blog:
> http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2010/07/the-theory-of-the-case.html
>
> Looks like he indeed scanning internet for his name and decided to commit
> to our discussion :)
>
> Almost forget, I have convinced one developer to sign for Fishcat program.
> But he didn't receive any confirmation by email after he finished the
> registration form. I just wondering if registration form is working now. And
> how long it takes to send confirmation.
> His name is Alexander Makarenko. In mean time I have said him to wait until
> tomorrow.
> Maybe he already got the message, but I'm not sure.

Thanks. The FishCAT form is actually a google docs form, so it does not send
an email to anyone. It's just a simple spread sheet.
I will get control of this doc from Judy and get back to him.
thanks
Richard.