quality@glassfish.java.net

RE: Request for comments : FishCAT, the way forward

From: Vladimir Perlov <vladperl_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 04:36:06 +0000

Hi Richard,
>True, but I don't think Sun's Open Source views and culture just disappeared :)
I understand it, and maybe we could contact directly some people from Glassfish team in informal manner and ask them some questions :) For example in the past I had contact a couple times with Jason Lee. He is kind of guy open to discussion and he is responsible for Glassfish's Admin panel and some other stuff also. So if we will have some questions to Glassfish team I could try to contact him. By the way it was a funny story how I the first time had contact with him. But I'm not that good storyteller to bother you with this kind of story.
>Well, I always believe more in what people 'do' than 'say'>So let's test it out :)
You don't have to do it just check out the link:http://www.oracle.com/technology/oramag/oracle/10-jul/o40interview.html?msgid=3-1768287653
"Screven: The first thing that I want to point out is that Oracle doesn’t really have an open source-specific strategy. What we have is an overall company strategy: to deliver complete, open, integrated solutions to our customers."
As you can see I was absolutely right, they just don't have any strategy in this regard :)Watching the video about how many people are using MySql I was just wondering why they couldn't effort to create decent community based SQL manager as alternative to MySQL browser. Maybe they didn't have a decent awarding schema at this time :)
One more thing that could be useful for us is to read the Seth Godin blog:http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2010/07/the-theory-of-the-case.html Looks like he indeed scanning internet for his name and decided to commit to our discussion :)
Almost forget, I have convinced one developer to sign for Fishcat program. But he didn't receive any confirmation by email after he finished the registration form. I just wondering if registration form is working now. And how long it takes to send confirmation.His name is Alexander Makarenko. In mean time I have said him to wait until tomorrow.Maybe he already got the message, but I'm not sure.
Best regards,Vladimir
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 09:07:39 +0200
From: rjdkolb_at_gmail.com
To: quality_at_glassfish.dev.java.net
Subject: Re: Request for comments : FishCAT, the way forward

Hi

On 3 July 2010 05:53, Vladimir Perlov <vladperl_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> Indeed. But talking about the vision / limitation evaluation, I wonder> whether FishCAT in itself will be a "business" of its own by any
> chance? Will FishCAT, embedded into the development (and marketing /> sales) process of GlassFish application server, actually even remotely
> qualify as something akin to a "business entity"? I think tackling this> question is rather interesting - are "we" more or less an entity of our
> own, which is likely to achieve its own objectives, or are we, indeed,> just a "solution provider" mainly in the GlassFish context? I think
> this partially is a decision we have to make, partially it is a> decision Oracle as driving force behind GlassFish will have prepared
> for us. :)
Again I doubt that Oracle has defined clear policy on it.After all they never had a similar program in place.
True, but I don't think Sun's Open Source views and culture just disappeared :)

Some thing for you :
http://medianetwork.oracle.com/media/show/15259?n=playlist&nid=86

 It would be interesting to know how Richard "tackling" this question :)

Well, I always believe more in what people 'do' than 'say'
So let's test it out :)

regards
Richard.