quality@glassfish.java.net

RE: Request for comments : FishCAT, the way forward

From: Vladimir Perlov <vladperl_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 16:36:34 +0000

Hi Judy,
I couldn't reply earlier because I was close to water without computer :)
>we will first reach the people willing to contribute not for points.
In fact I completely agree with you on this. I understand it's no going to be good to have a bunch of people that came just to get the "golden" badges :)In case of limited scope such as Fishcat program I agree with your and Kristian's point of view that we should try to stick with enthusiastic/volunteer kind of people.Engels defined three laws of Dialectics. One of them sound like this: "quantity changes to quality". In some way this definition is quite simplified but in my practice taking in account this principle help a lot. For example if we are going to change the world we need to design the system that should be adapted to all kind of people and in big scope. So in this case only one way to go is strong motivation schema such as virtual currency and so on. But if we are doing something with limited scope then it's natural to be picky. I didn't bring this point of view before because by inertia I was kind of pushing "strong side" of the award system.Also I was mostly concern about how to increase the "stickers" values than when to start to use them.Anyway I believe there is some merit in what I suggested before and we have a freedom to apply those ideas when we feel it will be appropriate thing to do. Definitely at the time when beta testing will be done we should have something to show our appreciation for intensive work that was done. So instead of coffee mug or t-shirt we could go with badges and coins. At least this way we will have a possibility to continue increase incentives in natural way.
>If we say some thing we can't do withing FishCAT scope, that is not good, so I like to make all this clear again, thanks for>your understanding :-)
>Last time we did the same way and we have more than 70 people signed up.
It would be quite a good number taking in account the current scope of the Fichcat program.
I agree again with your point here, and I already have started to work to adjust my strategy appropriately.In the next letter I will try to explain the new strategy in pretty short form. I named it "Two Lanes Strategy" :)
Sincerely,Vladimir
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 10:37:04 -0700
From: judy.j.tang_at_oracle.com
To: quality_at_glassfish.dev.java.net
Subject: Re: Request for comments : FishCAT, the way forward

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for your input, developers forums are good places, may be more
cats can help us recruit in different forums.

At this point, I am afraid FishCAT has limited scope, so wont' be able
to do things you suggested below, we will first

reach the people willing to contribute not for points. Last time we
did the same way and we have more than

70 people signed up. The effort gained passion for improving GlassFish
quality, that in return benefits every one.

If we say some thing we can't do withing FishCAT scope, that is not
good, so I like to make all this clear again, thanks for

your understanding :-)

Have a good weekend!

Judy

Vladimir Perlov wrote:

  Hi
cats,

>Here are a few places we can send emails to invite, any
place else, idea please. Thanks!

>users_at_glassfish.dev.java.net
>dev_at_glassfish.dev.java.net
>GlassFish in Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin ...

  What about developers forums such as JSF and so on?
  Another question is how many people we can reach this way?
  Do we have the way to find out it?
  Is there is a way to send the letter instantly to all oracle
based email lists and forums?
  Can we promise them that people who will do the best will get
some kind of title signed by Larry Ellison?
  Can we promise them that people with the title will be eligible
for some discount for Oracle organized events?
  Of course the holder of the title will be eligible for this kind
of privileges during only one year.
  People who deserve the title should get some kind of badge with
corresponding certificate.
  For example "Siberian tiger" certificate should be signed by
Larry Ellison his self to make it more valuable and "Lion" title should
be signed at least by Glassfish team leader.
  Custom made metallic badge should provide the following data:
  Title name, year, unique id, corresponding to the title
symbol/picture (lion, tiger,...)
  Maybe we could also write on the badge in small font definitely
something like this: "Noble member of Fishcat tribe".

  Beside it makes sense to produce collectible kind of coins that
people will be able to buy using their points/dukes.
  When our awarding schema will be strong we shall make to start
to use silver, gold, and other precious metal to produce them.
  Just a couple quickly found related to the topic links:

  http://www.kingpins.net/custom-coins.asp
  http://www.yellowfinindustries.com/index.php

  In conclusion I would say that if now are strategy is stickers
oriented then we have to make them adult oriented and artificially rise
their value. One more idea in this direction would be to find pretty
good designer on http://www.deviantart.com/ site
and ask them to create design for our badges,coins, logos and so on.
Probably they will do it for free in case we will open to them
additional market.
  This is one of the reason I has asked about how many people we
can reach.

  Best regards,
  Vladimir

  Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 07:13:04 -0700

From: judy.j.tang_at_oracle.com

To: quality_at_glassfish.dev.java.net

Good idea Richard. We can do that :-)

FishCAT is simply a Beta testing, so we need to find different ways to
reach GlassFish users.

Here are a few places we can send emails to invite, any place else,
idea please. Thanks!

  users_at_glassfish.dev.java.net

  dev_at_glassfish.dev.java.net

GlassFish in Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin ...

Richard Kolb wrote:

Ah, we can add a field in the registration form: Who refereed you to
FishCAT

50 Bonus points for every referral

    On 2 July 2010 10:30, Judy Tang <judy.j.tang_at_oracle.com>
wrote:

      Suggest every one read this email help to recruit 1 FishCAT,
we will
get 50 in no time :-)

Judy Tang wrote:
       Hi Richard,

I like your planning with very clear goal. This is great. Let's start!

- To attract and keep more than 50 activity participating independent
FishCAT members

- To attract more than 10 application specific Gold members

Richard Kolb wrote:
        Hi Vladimir

          On 2 July 2010 05:58, Vladimir
Perlov <vladperl_at_hotmail.com>
wrote:

>But agreed type don't know GlassFish the full
potential
of what FishCAT can accomplish

            So shell we start some planning to see what we can
accomplish?

Yes, and I think we need to have a modest approach and not a big bang
approach for now.

Perhaps we can have more long term goals as well.

            Maybe it doesn't make sense anymore to do some surveys?

Yes, I don't think so.

I don't want to send people annoying surveys without a clear strategy
first.

(Because FishCAT is not active at the moment)

            How about this short plan:

            July - writing vision, policy, strategy, business
model
and
infrastructure specification

Top down business approach. I like this.

We already have a focus area, so I would like to keep that.

          http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=FishCAT2010SecHalf

          Just some ideas for mission statement and short term
vision

Mission statement :

The FishCAT community team strives to keep GlassFish's high quality
standard and even improve the quality of this world class Enterprise
technology.

The community is also committed to helping the GlassFish developers
execute their roles

          Short Term Vision :

To attract and keep more than 50 activity participating independent
FishCAT members to passively test GlassFish 3.1 before it is released
and activity test specific new and existing features. While doing this

To attract more than 10 application specific Gold members.

(A gold member is someone who does active testing of specific
applications or frameworks. EG of frameworks :Vaadin , IceFaces ,
PrimeFaces EG of Applications Hudson , Apache Archiva etc)

regards

Richard.

  The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail
accounts with Hotmail. Get busy.