quality@glassfish.java.net

Re: Request for comments : FishCAT, the way forward

From: Kristian Rink <rink_at_planconnect.de>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 09:41:58 +0200

Folks;

I've been pretty busy the last couple of days so seems I'm hopelessly
behind in answering mails related to this issue. My fault, sorry. :/
Anyway, a few thoughts:

Am 07.07.2010 09:28, schrieb Richard Kolb:
[...]
> Glassfish's Admin panel and some other stuff also. So if we will
> have some questions to Glassfish team I could try to contact him. By
> the way it was a funny story how I the first time had contact with
> him. But I'm not that good storyteller to bother you with this kind
> of story.
>
> Ah, great thanks. Jason is responsible for JSF2 as well.
> FishCAT has support via Alexis, Judy , Edwardo and many others, so it
> should not be a problem.

Is there a "general" way of having GlassFish dev team members
formally(?) involved with FishCAT? Does dev team actually in its breadth
know about the existence of FishCAT? I think having a loosely knit set
of connections to most of the GlassFish dev folks would make this
project pretty powerful, no matter the fact that GF devs eventually
won't be able to answer mails immediately and/or in time... ;)

[...]
> As you can see I was absolutely right, they just don't have any
> strategy in this regard :)
> Watching the video about how many people are using MySql I was just
> wondering why they couldn't effort to create decent community based
> SQL manager as alternative to MySQL browser. Maybe they didn't have
> a decent awarding schema at this time :)
>

> Hmmm... I think it's time for the open community is step up and show
> Oracle it's worth while :)

Definitely. Two points:

(a) Generally, I think the idea of not separating the "open source"
strategy from an "overall business strategy" seems bad at first but
pretty smart at second sight. RedHat, in example, does the same in my
opinion - open source as a tool to drive business, not as a "separated"
strategy of its own. The only thing, however, is that Oracle definitely
need to way more embrace the "former Sun open source" projects. Just
have a look at

http://oss.oracle.com/

-> NetBeans? GlassFish (asides some Oracle mods)? OpenSolaris? I think
Oracle so far doesn't do that bad about open source but they eventually
need to get things completely sorted out and aligned yet. In example,
I've recently been talking to a fellow developer who's working for a
large German construction company. So far they were using Oracle
Application Server, and now they are looking into Oracle WebLogic.
They're not considering and/or looking at GlassFish - because they're
simply not even aware of its existence.

(b) "Open community": For that, I guess it also will need more activity
out of the "open source" community outside Oracle. So far, while still
part of Sun, it seems that projects like GlassFish or OpenSolaris did
attract way less external open source developers / contributors than
other open source activities, in example the Apache stuff or Eclipse.
Changing this, I think, also would change Oracles general view on open
source. :)

Cheers,
K.

--
Dipl.-Ing.(BA) Kristian Rink * Software- und Systemingenieur
planConnect GmbH * Könneritzstr. 33 * 01067 Dresden