quality@glassfish.java.net

Re: Request for comments : FishCAT, the way forward

From: Richard Kolb <rjdkolb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 10:08:36 +0200

Hi Kristian

On 7 July 2010 09:41, Kristian Rink <rink_at_planconnect.de> wrote:

> I've been pretty busy the last couple of days so seems I'm hopelessly
> behind in answering mails related to this issue. My fault, sorry. :/ Anyway,
> a few thoughts:

Glad you are back :)

Am 07.07.2010 09:28, schrieb Richard Kolb:
> [...]
>
> Glassfish's Admin panel and some other stuff also. So if we will
>> have some questions to Glassfish team I could try to contact him. By
>> the way it was a funny story how I the first time had contact with
>> him. But I'm not that good storyteller to bother you with this kind
>> of story.
>>
>> Ah, great thanks. Jason is responsible for JSF2 as well.
>> FishCAT has support via Alexis, Judy , Edwardo and many others, so it
>> should not be a problem.
>>

> Is there a "general" way of having GlassFish dev team members formally(?)
> involved with FishCAT?

Quick answer, yes :) Via the issue tracker and the quality mailing list.
In my experience they are very helpful

> Does dev team actually in its breadth know about the existence of FishCAT?

yes, again :) I have had many chats with some of the developers.
Give them nice/useful bugs and they love you :)

> I think having a loosely knit set of connections to most of the GlassFish
> dev folks would make this project pretty powerful, no matter the fact that
> GF devs eventually won't be able to answer mails immediately and/or in
> time... ;)

Yes, and that is the other thing that makes FishCAT wonderful
You don't need a developer to answer to get a good answer. The community
supports itself as well :)

> [...]
>
> As you can see I was absolutely right, they just don't have any
>> strategy in this regard :)
>> Watching the video about how many people are using MySql I was just
>> wondering why they couldn't effort to create decent community based
>> SQL manager as alternative to MySQL browser. Maybe they didn't have
>> a decent awarding schema at this time :)
>>

>> Hmmm... I think it's time for the open community is step up and show
>> Oracle it's worth while :)
>>

> Definitely. Two points:
>
> (a) Generally, I think the idea of not separating the "open source"
> strategy from an "overall business strategy" seems bad at first but pretty
> smart at second sight. RedHat, in example, does the same in my opinion -
> open source as a tool to drive business, not as a "separated" strategy of
> its own. The only thing, however, is that Oracle definitely need to way more
> embrace the "former Sun open source" projects. Just have a look at
>
> http://oss.oracle.com/

thanks for this. I will give it a read.

> -> NetBeans? GlassFish (asides some Oracle mods)? OpenSolaris? I think
> Oracle so far doesn't do that bad about open source but they eventually need
> to get things completely sorted out and aligned yet. In example, I've
> recently been talking to a fellow developer who's working for a large German
> construction company. So far they were using Oracle Application Server, and
> now they are looking into Oracle WebLogic. They're not considering and/or
> looking at GlassFish - because they're simply not even aware of its
> existence.

Ah, yes. I have a customer that refers to j2ee (I think they mean Sun
Application Server) and JBoss. Also how JBoss is infringing on Sun patents
because they tried to copy Sun Application Server. Scary stuff.
The great thing with JavaEE is that in theory you can swap application
servers and not be locked in. I tried very hard to enlighten them to this.

btw, Judy is not the test lead for WebLogic :)

> (b) "Open community": For that, I guess it also will need more activity out
> of the "open source" community outside Oracle. So far, while still part of
> Sun, it seems that projects like GlassFish or OpenSolaris did attract way
> less external open source developers / contributors than other open source
> activities, in example the Apache stuff or Eclipse. Changing this, I think,
> also would change Oracles general view on open source. :)

Not really as I see it.
There are many OpenSource projects out there that do not even accept
patches. But they are 'open source' and they have an 'open community'

Vaadin for example. They work heavily with the community and implement
feature requests all the time. But submit a patch and they look at you funny
:)
http://vaadin.com/home

By the way Vaadin does not work on GlassFish 3.0.x without a hack. Only in
3.1 dev

I would like to attract the developers of Vaadin to the FishCAT 'Gold'
program where they will test Vaadin on GlassFish 2.1.x , 3.0.x and 3.1.x.
Also they will need to refrence a sample application that works.
I can then publish which versions of Vaadin works with GlassFish
Vaadin gets exposure from the FishCAT program, so they win.

The goal is to have a list of 10 'Gold' Partners by the end of the year.

regards
Richard.