quality@glassfish.java.net

Re: v3 + UC issue: Latest nightly build for GlassFish Tools Bundle For Eclipse 1.2 is now available: (1.1.7)

From: Ludovic Champenois <Ludovic.Champenois_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 07:34:50 -0800

Christopher Kampmeier wrote:
> Hi Ludo,
>
> At least on Mac OS X,
Only Mac does this native protected install. All other installers use
the regular user that launches the installer.
> this bundle suffers from the same root install + pkg(5) issue as even
> the current NetBeans + GlassFish v3 bundles. ie. out of the box, use
> of Update Tool, the pkg(1) CLI and desktop notifier + Software Update
> doesn't work. (If these features are not part of the test plan, they
> need to be added).
>
> Assuming that the user managing the installation is usually not root,
> the post install workaround is to:
>
> $ sudo chown -R <user id>:<group id>
> /Applications/GlassFish-Tools-Bundle-For-Eclipse-1.1.7.app/Contents/MacOS/glassfishv3

Hum, for 1 single user, yes, maybe?

> Doing this will allow the non-root user to use the Update Tool GUI and
> pkg(1) CLI to manage the installation of v3. It will also enable the
> desktop notifier and Software Update GUIs, which run as the non-root
> user, to inspect and update the image.
>
> I am in the process of adding the gory details of why this is a
> problem when pkg(5) is involved to an existing bug report filed under
> Update Center.
So this is more on the UC side?
> I'll also update the v3 tracking bug once those details are updated.
>
> We should also file a tracking bug for the Eclipse + v3 bundle. Where
> is that issue tracker? (Same goes for NetBeans because it's not clear
> to me that there is a tracking bug for the NetBeans installer).
>
> I haven't downloaded and tried the bundles on other OS platforms, but
> a root install on those and an attempt to manage the install as a
> non-root user will result in the same issue. (Being in the same group
> ID doesn't help - which will be explained in the underlying UC bug
> report).
>
> It's not clear to me whether you have an option to wire your installer
> to install the content as non-root. I see about 15% of my apps under
> /Applications installed as non-root.

Let me see what I can do in the postflight script of our installer...Not
sure if there, at that time I can get the regular user name as the
installer has already asked for the root password to run the process. If
I can, it is an easy change.

Chmod a+w would not do the same?

Ludo