quality@glassfish.java.net

v3 + UC issue: Latest nightly build for GlassFish Tools Bundle For Eclipse 1.2 is now available: (1.1.7)

From: Christopher Kampmeier <Christopher.Kampmeier_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 08:58:58 -0600

Hi Ludo,

At least on Mac OS X, this bundle suffers from the same root
install + pkg(5) issue as even the current NetBeans + GlassFish
v3 bundles. ie. out of the box, use of Update Tool, the pkg(1)
CLI and desktop notifier + Software Update doesn't work. (If
these features are not part of the test plan, they need to be
added).

Assuming that the user managing the installation is usually not
root, the post install workaround is to:

$ sudo chown -R <user id>:<group id>
/Applications/GlassFish-Tools-Bundle-For-Eclipse-1.1.7.app/Contents/MacOS/glassfishv3

Doing this will allow the non-root user to use the Update Tool
GUI and pkg(1) CLI to manage the installation of v3. It will
also enable the desktop notifier and Software Update GUIs, which
run as the non-root user, to inspect and update the image.

I am in the process of adding the gory details of why this is a
problem when pkg(5) is involved to an existing bug report filed
under Update Center. I'll also update the v3 tracking bug once
those details are updated.

We should also file a tracking bug for the Eclipse + v3 bundle.
  Where is that issue tracker? (Same goes for NetBeans because
it's not clear to me that there is a tracking bug for the
NetBeans installer).

I haven't downloaded and tried the bundles on other OS
platforms, but a root install on those and an attempt to manage
the install as a non-root user will result in the same issue.
(Being in the same group ID doesn't help - which will be
explained in the underlying UC bug report).

It's not clear to me whether you have an option to wire your
installer to install the content as non-root. I see about 15%
of my apps under /Applications installed as non-root.

Installing as non-root from the get go would certainly avoid the
issue pkg(5) has with the combo of root ownership + non-root
management. I know, NetBeans doesn't have an issue with the
combo as long as a common group ID is in effect and permissions
are proper, but pkg(5) is different in that it attempts to
actively manages file permissions whereas NBM does not. More
will be doc'd in the UC bug report.

Chris