dev@glassfish.java.net

Jerome: URGENT: need to decide how to resolve this (was: Re: Sahoo: OSGi problems when upgrading BV to latest source tag)

From: Ed Burns <Ed.Burns_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 15:45:47 -0400

Executive Summary:
------------------

Sahoo and I have determined the cause of my problem to be that the felix
config.properties file in the web distro does not have
javax.xml.bind,javax.xml.bind.annotation, which BV needs for its new XML
config feature.

We need a QUICK ruling from Jerome, Abhijit, and/or Sahoo about how to
proceed. There are several alternatives. I think a quick phone call
would be best. Can someone please tell me the best forum for such a
discussion?

Current status: I'm blocked waiting on advice for which technical fix to
persue. I have a suggestion, but I need approval from
Abhijit/Jerome/Sahoo to act on it.

Details:
--------

EB> I suspect it's that some of the things now needed by
EB> bean-validator.jar are not OSGi modules.

SS> Which distribution are you using? In full (aka glassfish) distribution,
SS> all those packages should be provided by metro jars.

Turns out I'm using the web distro, because that's the one for JSF, and
that's how most people will be using BV. A recent change by Sahoo makes
it possible to affect changes to the felix config via manifest entries
in jars in the modules directory. I suggest we do the following, but
Sahoo disagrees.

1. I make a branch of
<https://svn.dev.java.net/svn/glassfish-svn/trunk/external/src/bean-validator-source-build>
that corresponds to the latest JBoss source tags. The branch will be
called
<https://svn.dev.java.net/svn/glassfish-svn/tags/20090414-bean-validator-jsr-303-v4_0_0_Beta1-b01/>

2. From this branch I publish two jars to the maven repo:

groupId: org.glassfish
artifactId: bean-validator
version: 3.0-JBoss-4.0.0.Beta1-b01

groupId: org.glassfish
artifactId: bean-validator-extra-osgi-config
version: 3.0-JBoss-4.0.0.Beta1-extra-osgi-config-b01

3. Jane modifes the config for the web distro to cause both of these
jars to end up in the web.zip Jane modifies the config for the full
distro for only the first one to end up in the full.zip

Ed