dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Nexus

From: Ken Cavanaugh <Ken.Cavanaugh_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 16:01:57 -0800

Jason Lee wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2009, at 4:55 PM, Ken Cavanaugh wrote:
>> My bundles end up in http://download.java.net/maven/2/com/sun/corba/
>> after a few minutes, but I have no idea if this is correct now that
>> we have
>> Nexus set up.
>
> Nexus is just a proxy/caching server. If I understand things
> correctly, it has other repos set up that *it* queries if it has not
> already downloaded an artifact. Once it downloads an artifact, it
> caches it locally (to itself), ready to serve up to the next client
> requesting it. Another bonus is the we only have one network
> connection per artifact instead of scanning all the repos we might
> know about locally for an artifact, which gets expensive in a hurry.
Nexus has both proxying for repositories (which takes care of scanning
costs) and hosting repositories (it is a repository manager).
What I don't understand is whether we are using the Nexus instance to
host our repository, or if we are just using it
for proxying. If the latter, then I can ignore it for CORBA (for now),
because CORBA has no external dependencies.

Thanks,

Ken.