dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: lopsidedness of domaindir usage?

From: Kedar Mhaswade <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:25:10 -0700

Lloyd Chambers wrote:
> Ludo,
>
> AFAIK, we are *not* making domain.xml a public interface, at least that
> was Kedar's view.

Users defeat everything when it comes to a text configuration file.
So, like it or not, domain.xml, its structure, elements etc. has become
our public interface. Nothing can fight with editing the text file in users'
favorite text editor. We can't say we won't support it if you ever edited
the file by hand, no let's not go there.

Situation would have been better if we had a "slick" editor/API for domain.xml
(and possibly other files in domain) *without* a running server. Offline
configurability is my long-cherished and unfulfilled dream that I continue
to cherish. Some day, I will make it a reality.

In spite of such an editor, domain.xml and any other text file
is a forced public interface. We even removed the comment in it that said "Don't
edit this file by hand!" from domain.xml.