dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: lopsidedness of domaindir usage?

From: Ludovic Champenois <Ludovic.Champenois_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:27:18 -0700

Bill Shannon wrote:
> Ludovic Champenois wrote:

>>> Would be nice isn't it?
>>> Yes, it would have been nice to have some code to share, but as
>>> Kedar mentioned, it was not seen important for V3 prelude.
>>> We would also need an OSR to add the exported interface JAR into the
>>> NetBeans product.
>>> Another one for adding it in Eclipse.
>>> So far, java is an external public interface. Domain.xml content is
>>> as well.
>> Ho, and the implementation of stop server would also need to cover
>> these cases:
>> 1/ server is stopped at a break point
>> 2/ server has been started in profiler mode, but nobody has attached
>> to it, so the server is waiting...
>> 3/ server is in a mode where admin commands do not work anymore for
>> whatever reason (and we have cases where jps itself does not respond
>> to get the lists of VMs so you cannot know which one to kill:-)
>>
>> Not sure asadmin or a java api without environment context knowledge
>> (specific to Eclipse or specific to NetBeans) can address these cases.
>
> I'm sure you're the best qualified to design an API that NetBeans and
> Eclipse can use.
>
> After starting the server and getting a process handle for the server,
> what information from domain.xml is needed by the IDE that it can't get
> using one of the existing public interfaces?
When the server is running, *all* can be done with mbeans/amx/_asadmin
REST apis assuming you know the admin port number and admin password.
The issues are more related to before it is started or when it is not
working (expected like profiler/debug or not expected) or when a server
has gone thru changes not known by the IDE (i.e you register ocalhost
8080/4848 to NetBeans, and the day after outside Nb, you change it to a
different port number...)
How an IDE can nicely handles these cases is what makes it good or not.

Ludo