dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: lopsidedness of domaindir usage?

From: Peter Williams <Pete.Williams_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 22:48:06 -0700

Kedar Mhaswade wrote:

>> Spawning scripts via java, that start a java command has some issues
>> related to in/out processing ( password echo, log file content
>> streamed to an IDE output area,..) and process control (you get the
>> script process, not the spawned java process).
>
> Hmmm. So you want to control the process handle for GlassFish so you can
> control its life cycle from within NetBeans?
Kedar, you and I have been over this before, more than once.

The NetBeans plugin MUST have the process handle of the server process
to manage it properly. This is simply not obtainable when starting the
server via the asadmin command.

I am quite happy to accept that in return for requirement, our plugin
must take over launcher duties and properly interpret domain.xml to
ensure the server is started correctly. The current V3 NetBeans plugin
does this.

The benefits of having the Java Process object for the server process
more than outweigh the cost of writing a few lines of code to read XML
and substitute a few variables.

>> I can dig into the NetBeans list archive to find more info but this
>> has caused hell situations at some point of time...
>
> Please do.
> At any rate, your reasons seem to be different from Bill's "perceived
> simplicity of a Java command".
The reasons are different. That does not make Bill's comment any less
valid.

I can see how starting the server via java -jar can be quite convenient,
especially with some of the options now being discussed.

We also package GlassFish as a gem to make it more accessible and
attractive to the Ruby crowd.

-Peter