dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: lopsidedness of domaindir usage?

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_sun.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 13:29:30 -0700

Peter Williams wrote:
> The NetBeans plugin MUST have the process handle of the server process
> to manage it properly. This is simply not obtainable when starting the
> server via the asadmin command.
>
> I am quite happy to accept that in return for requirement, our plugin
> must take over launcher duties and properly interpret domain.xml to
> ensure the server is started correctly. The current V3 NetBeans plugin
> does this.
>
> The benefits of having the Java Process object for the server process
> more than outweigh the cost of writing a few lines of code to read XML
> and substitute a few variables.

If NetBeans needs to do this, please tell me that it's using a
GlassFish-defined class to do this work. I think it's a bad idea
to duplicate the code that processes domain.xml and decides how to
launch the JVM for GlassFish into NetBeans. Shouldn't this be an
API exposed by the GlassFish launcher class? Worst case, the command
that Kedar proposed to "tell me what java command to use to start the
server" would do.