dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Existence of sub-dir like web, ejb in module dir.

From: Sahoo <Sahoo_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 15:21:48 +0530

Jerome Dochez wrote:
> Sahoo wrote:
>> Jerome Dochez wrote:

>>> modules private to a container go into the subdir, anything shared
>>> go in modules.
>> Statically determining what modules are needed for a particular
>> container may not always lead to correct result, as the system can
>> wire stuff differently.
> as the system evolve based on user's installation of extensions, we
> might indeed have a few modules installed in different places, we
> neeed to be able to survive duplicate module installation.
It's confusing to say the least. When one has to patch a bundle, they
won't know which one to patch.
>>> I don't think it does but I can check.
>>> well, it's a user feature, I think it would be nice to be able to
>>> replace or delete containers by just removing a sub-dir and have v3
>>> continue working fine without any reconfiguration (assuming no
>>> applications were deployed to that container of course).
>> I don't get the basic use case. What happens to IPS metadata when
>> user uses something like "rm" to remove files installed via UC?
> of course it would not work but I certainly hope that you are not
> considering UC the "only" way to update or extend the application
> server. If we are very successful, a lot of users might provide
> extensions, few through the UC.
No, I am not saying that IPS is the only way. I am saying that when IPS
is used, how does rm/cp way of installing things work?

> overall, I think it's a good exercise we ensure v3 can work correctly
> with several repositories, it limits the assumptions made that we have
> all our modules located in one place.

There is no such assumption in code, you know that very very well. I am
only worried about having a directory which has partial list of modules.
I am sure there are better ways to remove all bundles for a feature that
just removing a directory.

Thanks,
Sahoo