dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Compiling Glassfish in Eclipse

From: Markus KARG <markus.karg_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 17:11:18 +0200

Dinesh,
>> 4. Build the sources
>>
>> It would be nice to explain the difference between bootstrap and
>> bootstrap-all. Also, you do not per say build anything by calling
>> either of them, right? If yes, they deserve there own section
>> independent of the build.
>>
> Isn't this sufficient? if user wants to build all sources, then use
> bootstrap-all, if only few modules, then use bootstrap, more details
> are there in FAQ.. we don't want to provide more sections or details
> other than this in the Quickstart.
as a newbie to GlassFish I need to tell you that Marina is right. It is
not clear for a beginner what the difference is, also a beginner doesn't
like to choose ANYTHING. A beginner's tutorial shouldn't have any
choice. He shall always build the complete GlassFish. Then you can have
one "unique truth", only one version of the story. Everything else is
confusing to beginners. You can add a section on "bootstrap-without-all"
into the FAQ, but please remove it from the BEGINNERs section to not
make it more complicated than essentially needed.

Thanks a lot
The confused Markus