dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Compiling Glassfish in Eclipse

From: Dinesh Patil <Dinesh.Patil_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 19:13:44 -0700

Marina Vatkina wrote:

>Dinesh,
>
>Here are my notes:
>
>2. Configure Build Variables.
>
>Aren't the other 2 variables absolutely unnecessary and can cause
>trouble if building more than 1 version of the source?
>If yes, please completely remove the reference to them.

This is specified here as "a note" since its been referenced down below
where the glassfish server image will be.. so i can add this is not
necessary, but wanted to specify since most of the build files refer this.

>4. Build the sources
>
>It would be nice to explain the difference between bootstrap and
>bootstrap-all. Also, you do not per say build anything by calling
>either of them, right? If yes, they deserve there own section
>independent of the build.

Isn't this sufficient? if user wants to build all sources, then use
bootstrap-all, if only few modules, then use bootstrap, more details are
there in FAQ.. we don't want to provide more sections or details other
than this in the Quickstart.

    * bootstrap-all option: Building all the modules from the source.

% maven bootstrap-all build

    * bootstrap option: Build your own module using pre-built server

% maven -Dmodules=mail bootstrap build

>5. Configure or Install Server: This step will configure or install server to
>use runtime.
>
>What is the "runtime"? People new to GF won't understand why do they
>need to run it.

"runtime" is the one which is not compile-time, let me know other simple
term that software guys understand.

>Another question: why is it configure or install? How do these options
>differ? How do you choose one vs. another?

there are no separate options one for configure and one for install,
just configure/install as some developers wants to know how to install
the server there, so just for understanding these terms of configuration.

>6. Clean Build, Uninstall Server
>
>Why would you want to clean only one module, starting from 'bootstrap'?
>Won't it be easier to run 'maven clean' inside that particular module?

yes this also is a option, but just specified so that if there are
multiple modules to clean. will clarify this.

>Please explain in more details 'maven clean-config' - this is the only
>place on the page where you mention DAS, and token replaced files.

ok will clarify this.
thanks
Dinesh