dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Compiling Glassfish in Eclipse

From: Markus KARG <markus.karg_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 17:14:06 +0200

Tom,

> 3. - These are great instructions about how to check out the source,
> but as a beginner, when I read these, I will always assume that I have
> to checkout and build all of the source. When you want to work with
> the entity-persistence module, you can fairly easily get away with
> just checking out that module. Are there other modules like that in
> GlassFish. If so, it might be a good idea to include either an
> explanation of why you would choose to checkout all of GlassFish vs. a
> single module.
as a real beginner with GlassFish I need to tell you that it is more
easy for me to checkout and build everything in one step than to decide
what to build and what not. Actually the module structure is complex and
beginners do not understand it completely before doing their first
steps, so it is really the best to have a complete, lengthy compiler run
mandatory in the beginner's guid. The more you learn, the more you will
seek for more information, and THEN you can find out in the FAQ that you
can switch over to "single module build". But please do not confuse
beginners with decisions. Beginners don't like decisions. :-)

Have Fun
The Real Beginner (Markus)