dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: JSP seems to be compiled externally. Why?

From: Kohsuke Kawaguchi <Kohsuke.Kawaguchi_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:48:49 -0800

Matthew L Daniel wrote:
> Foremost, I have found it to be far more productive to establish a test
> framework (ala Jasper+JUnit+jMock+HtmlUnit) for the JSP components just
> like you would for other components. I agree that the "edit, compile,
> reload" is painful, but so is doing the same thing with an EJB.

When I'm checking my page layout, making sure colors look OK, or trying
various different icons, I don't think a test framework does me any good.

I don't think test framework eliminates the need of human interaction
with web sites either. When you develop a Swing application, even if you
do extensive automated testing, you will be still launching the GUI you
wrote while developing it, don't you. Why can't/shouldn't I do the same
with web application?

I'm not saying those test frameworks are useless; in fact it's the
opposite. I'm just saying we still need good interactivity, even with
excellent test harness.

> In conclusion, I would argue that in the realm of JSP development, we
> don't need a new way of development, we need to better employ the
> existing ones.

Yes. "Better" in this context for me is to let me see my JSP page more
quickly.

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi