dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Ask the Expert Questions on project GlassFish forward

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 15:29:41 -0500

Amy Roh wrote:
> Hi GlassFish developers,
>
> I'd like to discuss the following questions that we received during Ask
> the Expert event on GlassFish for more visibility.
>
> Can you answer to the list if you have inputs?
>
> Thanks,
> Amy
>
> ******************************
> first_name: Maris
> last_name: Orbidans
> email: Maris.Orbidans_at_idega.lv
> phone: 371-9456526
> preferred_contact: email
> subject: Project GlassFish
> question: Hi
>
> One of our clients has experienced two problems with SUN AS PE 8.1 on
> Red Hat Linux.
> 1) The application server is using many (>500) file handlers.
> 2) Sometimes SUN AS stops responding on HTTPS requests.
>
> We have discussed both issues here:
>
> http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=672636
> http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=665921
>
> I suspect that these problems are related to Grizzly HTTP processor and
> ,perhaps, to the
> algorithm that determines end of HTTP request.

Right. But default 8.1 PE keep-alive connection a very long time (5
minutes). Just reduce the number by adding:

  -Dcom.sun.enterprise.web.connector.grizzly.socketSoTimeout=30000
  -Dcom.sun.enterprise.web.connector.grizzly.maxKeepAliveRequests=250
  -Dcom.sun.enterprise.web.connector.grizzly.maxConnections=-1

so every connection will times out after 30 seconds. the maxConnections
property is a throttle added to PE to reduce scalability, but might
cause problem so setting the value to -1 will disabled it.

> My question is:
>
> Is there any point to migrate from SUN AS PE to Glassfish ? As I
> understood from SUN ONE
> conference online presentations, SUN AS PE is using NIO in blocking
> mode, while Glassfish is
> using NIO in non-blocking mode. I am not sure, though, whether it's
> true also for our case,
> because we are using SSL. So we would like to hear some comments about
> that, too.

You are right. SSL is still using nio blocking mode, but in Glassifhs
the times out has been reduced to 30 seconds. So moving to Glassfish
will fix your problem.

-- Jeanfrancois