dev@glassfish.java.net

Ask the Expert Questions on project GlassFish forward

From: Amy Roh <Amelia.Roh_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:22:12 -0800

Hi GlassFish developers,

I'd like to discuss the following questions that we received during Ask
the Expert event on GlassFish for more visibility.

Can you answer to the list if you have inputs?

Thanks,
Amy

******************************
first_name: Maris
last_name: Orbidans
email: Maris.Orbidans_at_idega.lv
phone: 371-9456526
preferred_contact: email
subject: Project GlassFish
question: Hi

One of our clients has experienced two problems with SUN AS PE 8.1 on
Red Hat Linux.
1) The application server is using many (>500) file handlers.
2) Sometimes SUN AS stops responding on HTTPS requests.

We have discussed both issues here:

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=672636
http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=665921

I suspect that these problems are related to Grizzly HTTP processor and
,perhaps, to the
algorithm that determines end of HTTP request.

My question is:

Is there any point to migrate from SUN AS PE to Glassfish ? As I
understood from SUN ONE
conference online presentations, SUN AS PE is using NIO in blocking
mode, while Glassfish is
using NIO in non-blocking mode. I am not sure, though, whether it's
true also for our case,
because we are using SSL. So we would like to hear some comments about
that, too.

thank you,
Maris

first_name: Maris
last_name: Orbidans
email: Maris.Orbidans_at_idega.lv
phone: 371-9456526
preferred_contact: email
subject: Project GlassFish
question: And a few more questions:

1) I have deployed a WEB service which can throw a custom exception.
When it does it, SUN AS
tries to process WEB application error page. Is it fixed in glassfish ?

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=668367

2) On windows , after undeployment of my EAR SUN AS fails to delete
some jar files. Is it fixed
in glassfish ?

3) Does SUN AS Standard Edition have HTTP processor written in C ?

4) SUN AS doesn't invoke sessionDestroyed if session times out. This is
violation of Servlet 2.4
spec. http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=656087
Is it fixed in glassfish ? If not, can you please assign some
developers to do it ?

5) SUN AS has a bug which is described here:
http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?forumID=136&threadID=638080
Is it fixed in glassfish ? If not, can you please assign some
developers to do it ?

6) One minor bug: if add an Additional Module Log Level Property SUN
AS reports about NPE
exception. Is it fixed in glassfish ?

Maris