jsr369-experts@servlet-spec.java.net

[jsr369-experts] [SPEC-159] HttpServletResponse.setHeader() and null

From: Edward Burns <edward.burns_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 08:35:36 -0700

I've added the agreed upon changes to setHeader and containsHeader to
the JIRA. What remains is the matter addressed by this text:

SD> On 5 September 2016 at 10:05, Stuart Douglas <sdouglas_at_redhat.com> wrote:
SD> "Containers may still add or modify headers before the response is
SD> committed. These will generally be headers that are required at a
SD> protocol level."

Do we specifically need to account for the case of collision between a
header set by the app and one that is set by the container? If so, we
must decide who wins, the container or the app. I judge the app should
win. If so, the text could be rewritten as:

  Containers retain the right to add or modify headers before the
  response is committed. If a header is explicitly set by the
  application, containers must not change the header set in this way.

I don't see the need for a statement about what sorts of headers the
container generally needs to add.

Thoughts?

Ed