jsr369-experts@servlet-spec.java.net

[jsr369-experts] META-INF/resources/WEB-INF/classes?

From: Greg Wilkins <gregw_at_intalio.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 17:07:20 +0100

Hi,

we've had a jetty user question that came up that we thought we new the
answer for sure.

They have a jar file which contains a META-INF/resources directory in which
they have a WEB-INF/classes directory.

Our understanding of META-INF/resources is that it is only for static
content that can be obtained via getResource and that it is not a place
where you can put things like WEB-INF/classes and expect them to appear on
the context classpath.

Our thinking is that if you allow META-INF/resources/WEB-INF/classes, then
surely you would have to allow META-INF/resources/WEB-INF/lib, which could
then contain jars that contain META-INF/resources/WEB-INF/lib, which
contain jars that contain.... and it is turtles all the way down.

We were pretty sure this is correct, but have been told that tomcat at
least is putting META-INF/resources/WEB-INF/classes on the contexts
classpath.

We can't see anything in the spec that suggests that
META-INF/resources/WEB-INF should be scanned for classpath components. You
can see the original question and our response here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/28078902/jetty-8-can-a-web-fragment-jars-meta-inf-resources-web-inf-classes-directory/

So I think we need to clarify the spec on this point one way or the other.

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw_at_intalio.com>  @  Webtide - *an Intalio subsidiary*